LUS Payment Arrangement

Report a Power Outage: 337.291.9200

Frequently Asked Questions

LUS Lafayette LAWhat service voltages are available from LUS?

120 / 240 volts, single phase, 3 wire
120 / 240 volts, three phase, 4 wire
120 / 208 volts, three phase, 4 wire
277 / 480 volts, three phase, 4 wire


I am building a house in an LUS service area and would like to know where on my lot that my electrical service will come from?

Call the LUS Transmission and Distribution Dispatcher at (337) 291-5700 and request an electrical service to be spotted on your property.

I am preparing to construct a business in Lafayette and would like to know what is required for electrical service?

  1. A site drawing including the location of the LUS electrical facilities and the proposed location of the electrical meter as well as path of electrical service from electrical meter to existing LUS facilities.
  2. Electrical riser (one-line) diagram including the conduit size, wire size and type; along with meter base size, voltage and phase being requested, as well as the various panels being install for the service.
  3. For underground service areas, an underground 2 PVC communication conduit is required for Lafayette Utilities System fiber access.
  4. An electrical load summary sheet which includes individual kVA loads for lighting, power, equipment, etc. working up to a total-connected load in kVA and in amps. Also, the number of air conditioning and/or heating units is required on the electrical load summary sheet.
  5. Proper numbered site address as regulated by the LCG Planning, Zoning, Codes Department.
  6. Name of the Owner/Developer's electrical contractor or electrician.
  7. On commercial sites requiring padmount transformer installations, the owner is required to submit a completed "Owner's Acknowledgment Form for Electrical Service" to LUS prior to release of a building permit by the LCG Codes Department.

When reviewing commercial plans for electrical requirements, what are the most common omissions that are noted?

  1. Site drawings without the locations of LUS electrical facilities, electrical meter locations on buildings and electrical service routes from meter locations to existing LUS facilities.
  2. Proper numbered site address as regulated by the LCG Planning, Zoning, Codes Department.

What impact fee is the developer/owner responsible for on a commercial site?

There is no impact fee but the owner/developer is responsible for the extension of water/wastewater facilities to the site if necessary.

What are the requirements/specifications for water/wastewater extensions?

Water and wastewater details are included in Appendix I on the Development Guidelines web page.

What are the fire prevention requirements for commercial buildings?

Lafayette Consolidated Government Fire Department's Fire Prevention Division reviews fire prevention plans. For more information, contact Travis Morgan at 291-8704.