Be Part of the Solution
Each year, from May 1st through September 30th, Lafayette Utilities System and the Lafayette Consolidated Government enact a water conservation ordinance aimed at combating low water pressure due to automated lawn watering during the peak hours of late afternoon and evening.
The ordinance applies to LUS residential, commercial, and wholesale (Youngsville, Broussard, Milton, Scott, Water District North, Water District South) customers using automated watering systems and sprinklers.
LUS encourages customers to follow water efficiency tips even when the water conservation ordinance is not active to keep our water pressure stable, maintain firefighting efforts, and keep our community healthy.
Lawn Watering Schedule
- Customers with odd-numbered home/property addresses (ending with 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Customers with even-numbered home/property addresses (ending with 0, 2, 4, 6, 8) water on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
- There is no watering on Mondays
- The designated times for lawn watering are from midnight to 2 p.m. (for 14 hours of possible watering time each designated day)
- Fines are accumulative and stay on record for three years.
Exceptions to the Schedule
- Hand-watering (the hose must be actually held by hand and equipped with a shut-off nozzle) and soaker hoses (drip irrigation) for exemption)
- Newly-planted sod, landscaping and ground cover (initial 30-day exemption, daily watering during designated time of midnight to 2 p.m. ONLY, property owner must notify LUS at 291-5743 to qualify)
- Businesses that require water to operate such as plant nurseries and commercial car washes
- Customers using a water supply other than LUS (such as private wells or ponds)
To report a watering violation, call LUS Dispatch at (337) 291-5740.
To determine if you qualify for a temporary exemption for newly planted landscaping, call (337) 291-5743.
Note: The exemption covers newly-planted sod, landscaping and ground cover for the initial 30-day period. Daily watering can occur but ONLY during the designated time of midnight to 2 p.m. Property owner must notify LUS at 291-5743 to qualify.
For more information about the Water Conservation Ordinance, call (337) 291-8930.