About our Program
The Rain Barrel Program is a Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG) interdepartmental collaborative between Lafayette Utilities System (LUS) and the Environmental Quality division of Public Works. The purpose of the program is to promote outdoor water conservation and sustainable stormwater management of the Bayou Vermilion Watershed.
The LUS / LCG Rain Barrel Program is designed to offer rain barrels to Lafayette Parish residents at a reduced retail cost and make them easily available for purchase during the spring season of each calendar year. 2016 orders will be taken through this program from March 17, 2016 – May 9, 2016. Click here to order your Rain Barrel now.
What is a Rain Barrel?
A rain barrel is a container used to collect and store rainwater from rooftops at either the downspout or the lowest pitch area of a roof. The water can be used later on your lawn, garden or for other outdoor purposes.
Why use Rain Barrels?
• Saves money on water bills
Lawn and garden watering can account for up to 40% of your household water bill during the spring and summer months. Rain barrels can reduce your outdoor water use by using rainwater rather than tap water.
• Improves water quality of the Bayou Vermilion
Rain barrels reduce the amount of stormwater runoff and surface water pollutants that enter our watershed. For more information on stormwater runoff, visit LafayetteLa.gov/Stormwater
• Provides optimal water for plants
Rainwater is naturally soft water and devoid of chlorine and other chemicals found in tap water. For this reason, plants thrive on rainwater.
Is a Rain Barrel Right for Me?
A rain barrel can be a wonderful addition to your yard and a useful tool for your outdoor watering needs. A rain barrel is right for you if:
• You use a garden hose, soaker hose or watering can for your outdoor watering needs. The filled barrel will not provide an adequate amount of pressure to connect to a sprinkler system.
• You use water for outdoor purposes at least once a week.
• The placement of the barrel will be in a surrounding location that slopes away from your house and neighboring properties.
• The area surrounding the rain barrel is a pervious surface to soak up overflow water.
Rain Barrel Components
The rain barrels being offered are recycled food grade barrels and made up of the following:
• Removable Top: Screw top lid with a drilled hole in the center for rain to enter.
• Mesh Screen: Attached to the lid to keep out debris and mosquitoes.
• Overflow Valve: 3/4 inch sized valve attached to the top of the barrel and used to redirect overflow water.
• Drain Valve: Located at the bottom of the barrel and used to attach additional barrels for greater water collection.
• Spigot: Allows for access and control of the rainwater.
Capacity: 55 gallons
Diameter: Approx: 21 inches
Height: Approx: 34 inches
Material: Polyethylene (plastic based)
Color: Option of black, gray, terra cotta or blue
Click here to download our Rain Barrel Brochure (includes an Installation guide).
There will be a limited supply of 300 rain barrels available for the discounted price of $35. Before any purchase will be accepted, the LUS/LCG terms and conditions must be agreed upon. Click here to print and view the LUS / LCG terms and conditions.
In order to receive a discount, the following criteria must be met:
• Resident of the City of Lafayette or within the unincorporated area of Lafayette Parish
• One discount per account allowed
This offer is limited to 1 barrel per household. Additional barrels may be purchased for $62.
How to Order
Orders and payments will be accepted via the following methods:
1) Order online using credit or debit card by clicking here (a $2.50 online processing fee will be added for all online purchases).
2) Mail check or money order payment made payable to UpCycle Products along with order form and signed disclaimer form to:
P.O. Box 315
Channahon, IL 60410
Click here to print our order and disclaimer form.
* Online order deadline is May 9, 2016. Mail in orders must be received by May 2, 2016.
To view the accessories being offered, click here.
Pick up Your Rain Barrel
All orders will be available for pick up on Saturday, May 21, 2016 from 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. at:
The Dean Domingues Compost Facility
400 Dugas Road (off of N. University between Pont De Mouton and Gloria Switch Road)
Lafayette, LA 70507
If you are unable to pick up your rain barrel during this time, please send an email request to email@example.com to schedule another pick up time.
Contact Garrisson Harrison at 291-8194 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or questions about this program.
If you would like to receive updates regarding our Rain Barrel Program, please click here to subscribe to our email list.